5/22/2014 Experts Connection Webinar: Screening Job Candidates via Social Media: Reckless Practice or Savvy Strategy?
May 13, 2014
EmployeeScreenIQ’s chief marketing officer and executive vice president, Nick Fishman, will be leading an Expert Connection webinar for NetShare on Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 2:00 PM EST entitled “Screening Job Candidates via Social Media: Reckless Practice or Savvy Strategy?”. Those interested in attending can register here.
Employers (and recruiters) face a dilemma – should they use social media to build and screen the job candidate pool? With lawsuits threatening employers/recruiters that use social media inappropriately, what should you do?
Sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter (three of the most ubiquitous), not to mention a basic search engine like Google can offer a trove of information about candidates – the jobs they’ve held, endorsements and criticisms from past employers, political and religious affiliations, the list goes on and on. And then there are the photographs and video clips. All of these sources can be powerful tools for learning about job candidates. But employers are conflicted on whether to use these tools for screening purposes – and they should be. The potential risks and legal ramifications are profound.
This webinar addresses three essential legal concerns: privacy, discrimination and accuracy. And for those that lean toward using this practice, we provide the seven do’s and don’ts of social media screening in building that candidate pool. With differing views on this trend, this webinar will speak to both sides and help you answer the question …do the rewards outweigh the risks when screening candidates on social media?
In this 90 minute webinar you will learn:
- The use of social media in the HR world.
- The essential legal considerations for social media screening.
- Seven dos & don’ts for employers who want to use it.
- The risks if your company does not use social media.
- The benefits of using social sites for screening candidates.
- How to remain an employer of choice.
- Best practices for your company.
About the Speaker:
Nick Fishman co-founded EmployeeScreenIQ in 1999 and serves as the company’s Chief Marketing Officer and Executive Vice President. He is the chief pioneer and architect of Employee Screen University, a first of its kind online, educational learning resource for human resource, security and risk-management professionals. He is also a frequent speaker on industry issues including: New Technologies in Employment Screening, Best Practices and Industry Trends. Nick holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from The Ohio State University and is a licensed private investigator in the states of Ohio and Texas.
Latest posts by admin (see all)
- SterlingBackcheck Acquires EmployeeScreenIQ, a Global Provider of Background Screening Services - November 3, 2015
- Many Employers Not in Compliance With EEOC Criminal Records Guidance, EmployeeScreenIQ Research Shows - October 21, 2015
- The EEOC’s Criminal Background Screening Guidance 3 Years Later - October 8, 2015