More Resume Lies: employeescreenIQ Research on Fake Degrees
October 2, 2008
Would you be surprised to learn that 1 in 10 job applicants lies to prospective employers about their education? employeescreenIQ recently released results from our 2nd quarter, 2008 study on falsification of academic credentials and found just that. Here are some other interesting findings:
- High School diplomas were falsified more often than college degrees
- Post Graduate and Doctoral degrees were the most infrequently falsified degrees
- Applicants’ false claims rarely involved an institution they never attended
What can employers do to insulate themselves from hiring people that lie about their education?
- Conduct Education Verifications with the schools the applicants claims to have attended
- Check the academic institution to see if it is known diploma mill. We just published a our List of Known Diploma Mills which can be downloaded for free by clicking here.