EmployeeScreenIQ serves an impressive roster of clients ranging from Fortune 100 organizations to mid-size corporations representing a diversity of industries. So whether you employ people in Missouri, throughout the United States or in over 200 countries abroad, we are your one stop shop for employment background checks.
Listed below are some things that those who conduct employee background checks in the State of Missouri should know.
Missouri has 114 counties.
State Court Structure
- Trial Courts: The Missouri Circuit Courts are the state trial courts of original and general jurisdiction of the state of Missouri. The state has 45 judicial circuits, each with various divisions, including associate circuit, small claims, municipal, family, probate, criminal, and juvenile.
- Appellate Courts: The Missouri Court of Appeals is the intermediate appellate court for the state and has jurisdiction over all appeals which do not fall under the exclusive jurisdiction of the state’s Supreme Court.
- Supreme Court of Missouri: The Missouri Supreme Court is the highest court in the state and has exclusive jurisdiction over the validity of a U.S. statute or treaty, the validity of a Missouri statute or constitutional provision, state revenue laws, statewide elected official’s right to hold office and imposition of the death penalty. Cases, can be transferred to the Supreme Court – at the Court’s discretion – if it determines that a question of general interest or importance is involved, that the laws should be re-examined, or that the lower court’s decision conflicts with an earlier appellate decision.
Federal Court Structure
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- Federal cases in Missouri are appealed to the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
Ban the Box Laws
- Missouri does not have a statewide ban the box laws
- City and County Ban the Box: Columbia, Kansas City and St. Louis
Credit Report Restrictions
Missouri does not have a law that restricts the use of credit reports in the hiring process.
Other Limitations on Screening for Employers
Some regulated employers may have to comply with a job-related test before denying an applicant based on a criminal conviction. There is no such restriction on private employers.
Missouri does not have a medical marijuana law.
There are no laws in the state of Missouri that restrict or limit private employers from accessing and requesting employee/candidate log in information for personal social media accounts.