EmployeeScreenIQ serves an impressive roster of clients ranging from Fortune 100 organizations to mid-size corporations representing a diversity of industries . So whether you employ people in Maryland, throughout the United States or in over 200 countries abroad, we are your one stop shop for employment background checks.
Listed below are some things that those who conduct employee background checks in the state of Maryland should know.
Maryland has 36 counties.
State Court Structure
- Trial Courts: The Circuit Courts of Maryland are the state trial courts of general jurisdiction in Maryland for all civil and criminal matters
- Appellate Courts: The Maryland Court of Special Appeals is the intermediate appellate court for the state.
- Supreme Court of Maryland: The Court of Appeals is Maryland’s highest court and reviews cases of both major and minor importance.
Federal Court Structure
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- Federal cases in Hawaii are appealed to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Ban the Box
- Maryland has a statewide ban the box law.
- City and County Ban the Box: Baltimore, Montgomery County and Prince George’s County
Maryland has a law that restricts the use of credit reports in the hiring process which prohibits an employer from using a credit report or credit history of an employee or applicant for employment unless the employer has a bona fide purpose that is substantially job–related or is one of a specified group of employers.
The state of California has a law which legalizes medical marijuana.
The state of Maryland has a law that restricts or limits private employers from accessing and requesting employee/candidate log in information for personal social media accounts.