(Blog) Rolling Out the New Year with Our Faves!
January 7, 2013
Happy New Year! I hope you all had a happy, healthy and restful holiday season. I know I did. When I said I was going to unplug for a couple weeks, I guess I really meant it. We went on a family vacation and while I was connected via email, I literally didn’t open my laptop once in 14 days. I figured after over 200 posts in 2012, we could all use a little break from the daily employment background check conversation.
We’re back and as I promised 19 days ago, it was my resolution to not blog angry this year. So far, so good (easy for me to say since I haven’t posted anything since). Anywho, I thought it was time to post something today and test my resolve.
Over the last several months, many of our followers have asked about the blogs we follow on a regular basis. In fact, you might have even noticed that we updated our blog roll back in December. I thought you might be interested in checking out some of my personal favorites. I usually ask myself three things before something becomes must read:
1. Is the content entertaining?- This is an absolute must. Life is too boring otherwise. Trust me, I already get my fill of boring reading material.
2. Has this person or site established itself as an industry thought leader?- Just because you have a blog doesn’t mean you’re an expert.
3. Does this topic relate my business, our clients or our blog followers?- I’m kind of selfish that way. There’s got to be something in it for me.
As an aside, I am hopeful that we emulate these qualities in this blog.
So, without further ado, check out some of my faves!
- Ohio Employment Law Blog– Okay, the title isn’t that exciting, but Jon Hyman is definitely on his game when it comes to employment law.
- HRMarketer Blog– How else am I going to know what you want to read about?:)
- The Employer Handbook– Eric Meyer offers great legal advice to his followers by commenting on the latest events, news and legal rulings that affect HR.
- ReachWest– Kevin Grossman could write an owner’s manual for a wash machine and still entertain you. Lucky for us though that he focuses on human resources technology and social media.
- Exaqueo– Need an opinion on your employment brand? Susan Strayer-Lamotte will be happy to give you one. We should all look at ourselves from the perspective of a prospective employee every one in awhile.
- GreenLightJobs– I’m not looking for a job, but if I was, I’d want Lisa Kaye in my corner. Nuff said.
- TLNT– John Hollon and his team have developed the online presence for their followers that SHRM hasn’t.
- iCIMS iBlog– The go-to authority for advice on talent management.
- SilkRoad “Ink”– Great talent management advice with a strong focus on social media.
Anybody taking bets on how long I’ll be able to stick to the softer side of Nick? I’d like the under.