Accreditation is more than a label or fancy term, and particularly for a background screening company, being accredited speaks volumes for the company’s services and standards. While many companies are affiliated with the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), only a few of all background screening providers are accredited by this organization (less than 2% of all background screening companies.) Find out from our background screening experts why some providers choose to become accredited, while others don’t, and why NAPBS accreditation should be important to employers when choosing a background screening provider.
It’s likely that you’ve seen several background screening providers advertising accreditation with NAPBS. But what does it really mean?
What You Should Know About Accreditation
- Affiliation is not equal to accreditation
- Accredited companies are held to standards in areas like data security, compliance, and truth in advertising–all of which are determined by an evaluation by an independent verification auditor
- Becoming accredited takes a few months for background screening providers
- Companies that are accredited commit to verifying that they are exercising best practices
- Indicates to employers that the provider has a neutral 3rd party seal of approval
- Candidates can feel secure that their personal information is protected by an accredited background screening company
- Accreditation is not a one-time process—companies are audited on a regular basis and standards can change
- The background screening provider must receive 100% on their evaluation
Watch the video above for more information on this topic.
Related EmployeeScreenIQ Content
- The Stats Don’t Lie: Why Should You Care About Employment Background Screening Accreditation? (Blog Article)
- NAPBS Offers 5 Tips for Employee Background Checks in 2013 (Blog Article)
Quick Takes is a video series blending together bits of experience and expertise from EmployeeScreenIQ’s background screening experts. With a newsroom feel, discussions surround the latest issues in the background screening industry. All of the videos were filmed unscripted-giving you the opportunity to hear genuine responses from the professionals. Topics range from social media background checks to conducting a thorough criminal records search. We’re releasing a new video every month, so stay tuned.